Wheat germ really is a super food that contains a whole host of valuable nutrients the body needs.
It is considered by the Mayo Clinic to be one of the top 10 healthiest foods to include in a balanced diet.
Top 5 Benefits
1. Vitamin E
– Wheat germ is high in vitamin E which is an antioxidant. Antioxidants may possibly reduce the risks of cancer and age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
Vitamin E is great in maintaining healthy skin, nails and hair. You will often see shampoo commercials selling products that contain vitamin E extract.
It helps to nourish and rejuvenate cracked, dry skin, has an anti-inflammatory effect and supports the skin’s natural process of regeneration. (Hopefully this means it keeps you looking younger for longer!).
Here’s a quote from a lady called Alison who made a comment on the wheat germ benefits homepage in January 2010:
“l have been buying wheat germ for many years. l sprinkle a couple of tablespoons over my breakfast cereal every morning. l am 49 years old and l have been told l have the skin of a teenager.”
A study in 2007 by the Division of Preventive Medicine, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, showed that Vitamin E might also help prevent the formation of blood clots that could lead to a heart attack or venous thromboembolism.
– Wheat germ contains phytosterols, an essential cholesterol which helps to greatly reduce the production and absorption of bad cholesterol. It keeps your heart healthy and lowers the risk of heart disease.
3. Omega-3 fatty acids
– promote a health heart by lowering cholesterol and blood pressure, are important for nervous system functioning, and help elevate mood.
– Wheat germ is also a good source of fiber which has many benefits including improved bowel function (keeps you regular) which is especially important as we get older. Our digestive capabilities slows down, so we need more fiber to maintain a healthy working system.
– Wheat germ is very high in protein. It contains around 28 percent protein and has more protein than can be found in most meat products. The human body needs protein in order to repair tissue damage and to help minerals and nutrients reach our cells.
Athletes and bodybuilders will often take wheat germ as an addition to their supplements due to the naturally high protein levels.
Although this is a list of the top 5 benefits to what germ, the list by no means ends here.
Read more about the benefits of wheat germ including more of the nutrients this super packed, food source contains.